Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Prebiotic Comments & Questions from Friends & Family

We now get many such comments and questions from friends. Many are so worthwhile that I put them up here for every one to see.

ANTIBIOTICS, PROBIOTICS and PREBIOTICS
Q- Should I take probiotics and prebiotics when I take on oral antibiotic?

A- Yes, I think I would. A year ago I was uncertain. Now there is enough info getting into the medical literature and practice of medicine, that the potential benefit may outweigh the uncertainty. More to the specifics:
    
Probiotics

Select the ones that have the highest amounts of:
  • Bifdo logum
  • Bifido rhamnosus
  • Strepto salivarious
  • Saccharomyces boulardi
Use twice a day. (Sorry about the technical names. You can get a full essay at Probiotics)

Prebiotics

Our oligofructose enriched inulin prebiotic fiber supplement (Prebiotin) is the best. I would use2 grams twice a day

When the antibiotic course is concluded, I would use the above for at least 1 week and then continue Prebiotin indefinitely

FINGERNAILS and TOENAILS

Since I have personally been on Prebiotin, I have been quite surprised at the growth and strength of my nails. I have checked with my colleagues and they say the same thing. A person from California says "stronger fingernails". Finally, I have a long standing fungus infection in one toenail. which appears to be clearing.

I have no idea how this may occur or even if there is any effect with Prebiotin. We do know that when the bacteria factory within our colon is functioning optimally, that health benefits occur beyond the colon. Could our finger and toenails be one such benefit? It has not been proven yet, but it will be fun to wait and see.

PERIODONTAL DISEASE

A close friend of mine has been on Prebiotin for over a year. She reports that her periodontist has been amazed that the pockets around some of her teeth have been gradually closing. These pockets of of periodontal disease are caused by bad bacteria getting into these crevices. Could swallowed prebiotics in some manner stimulate "good" bacteria to grow at these sites and displace the bad ones? At this time we can only guess at this possibility since there is no reported research yet in the medical literature. However, since there is no downside to taking these naturally occuring fibers, I would say go for it! Let us know what happens.

ULCERATIVE COLITIS

An attorney friend of mine with ulcerative colitis has told me that since taking Prebiotin, he has been able to reduce his medication, he no longer has foul flatus smell and that he just feels better. How this happens is becoming clear to me. Hydrogen sulfide is the very smelly and nasty gas that is made by certain colon bacteria. Remarkably, almost all UC patients make this gas, so there is something special here. There is suspicion that this toxic gas actually promotes damage to the colon wall in some manner.

These bugs need a neutral enviornment to grow and produce this gas. The do not grow in acid conditions. Prebiotics and more specifically Prebiotin produce beneficial acid substances and so reduce the growth the growth of these bad bugs. We need further good research here, but were I still in practice I would place all my UC patients on Prebiotin along with their standard medical program. There is virtually no downside and, who knows, there may be a significant benefit.
  • From Florida: "I love how Prebiotin has helped my daughter's ulcerative colitis".
  • From Minnesota; "I was diagnosed with colitis.... my symptoms went away and have not returned"
  • From North Carolina: "It helps my ulcerative colitis symptoms"
CROHNS DISEASE

Crohns disease starts with bad colon bacteria invading the wall of the lower small intestine and/or the colon. We now know who these nasty guys are. When prebiotics such as Prebiotin are taken, certain substances called short chain fatty acids are formed by the good bacteria. In additional to these substances being very good for the nutrition of the colon wall itself, they seem to change the makeup of the bacteria next to the colon wall. The good bacteria grow and the bad ones do not. 

Will this be a benefit for the Crohns patient? We will have to wait and see, but there are researchers who are cautiously optimistic. As with ulcerative colitis were I still in practice I would advise my Crohns patients to try adding these natural plant fibers to their medical program.
  • A Prebiotin user from Pennsylvania says "not as many flare-ups of my Crohns".
We get many other positive comments, but I will save these for another day.

Frank Jackson MD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments: